My Photo
Name:
Location: Orlando, Florida, United States

Wednesday, August 31, 2005

I just finished reading a book so phenomenal that I felt I had to share it with everyone who keeps up with my live journal. If you’re looking for something exceptional to read, let me suggest the new fiction novel Capt Hook by J.V. Hart. Yes, it may be considered a “children’s book” but this writer’s first novel is better than some much more experienced and popular writer’s tenth or twentieth books. Hart, however, is not a newcomer to the writing scene. He is well known for his screenplays that include Muppet Treasure Island, Contact, Bram Stoker’s Dracula, and of course, Hook.

This new novel is a great adventure in which the reader learns of Captain Hook’s past and Hart takes us on a journey like no other. His writing is vivid and lush, descriptive, leaving nothing but beautiful pictures in our imaginations of his take on Neverland and how one of my all time favorite villains got there. If you are familiar with the story of Peter Pan, you will love the foreshadowing and symbolism that Hart uses throughout the novel to enrich his characters. For those of us who love pirate stories and Peter Pan, Hart has hidden goodies all through his text for us to find. His main character King James Matthew Bastard for instance, happens to have the same initials as our beloved J.M. Barrie (author of Peter Pan) and whose best friend happens to go by the nickname Jolly Roger. Almost all of his characters, for that matter seem to have some sort of symbolic names. There are Davies, Llewellyns, etc as well as characters with significant first names.

I don’t want to spoil too much, but I have to elaborate a bit on one of my favorite parts where we meet Jas’ pet spider: a nine inch black beauty with yellow spots in the shape of a hook on her back. She enjoys sitting on Jas’ hand, where due to her largeness, she manages to cover his entire hand! Loved it!
I simply can’t express how awesome Hart’s writing is or how much I thoroughly enjoyed his story. You must read it for yourself. I promise you will be in for a treat.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home